Civil engineers create, improve and protect the environment in which we live. They plan, design and oversee construction and maintenance of building structures and infrastructure, such as roads, railways, airports, bridges, harbors, dams, irrigation projects, power plants, and water and sewerage systems. They also design and build tall buildings and large structures that can withstand all weather conditions.
Assistant Civil Engineer’s Job Duties:
1. Designing construction projects by studying project concept, architectural drawings, and models.
2. Preparing engineering design by collecting and studying reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photographs and tests on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and related topographical and geologic data.
1. Determining project costs by calculating labor, material, and related costs.
2. Preparing feasibility study by analyzing engineering design; conducting environmental impact studies; assembling data.
4. Preparing engineering documents by developing construction specifications, plans, and schedules.
5. Resolving design and development problems
6. Managing budgets and project resources
7. Scheduling material and equipment purchases and deliveries
8. Making sure the project complies with legal requirements, especially health and safety
9. Confirming adherence to construction specifications and safety standards by monitoring project progress; inspecting construction site; verifying calculations and placements.
10. Fulfilling project requirements by training and guiding operators.
11. Maintaining operations by enforcing project and operational policies and procedures.
12. Providing engineering information by answering questions and requests.
13. Advising management on needed actions.
14. Maintaining project data base by writing computer programs; entering data; completing backups.
15. Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
16. Ensuring projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time.