Difference Between Tile Flooring & Marble Flooring
In this article difference between tile flooring and marble flooring will be discussed. You will get to know which is a better option for home.
Tiles are precast units of pottery, cement concrete, or terrazzo. They are manufactured in various thicknesses and shapes like square, polygonal, etc.
Precast terrazzo tiles are known as mosaic tiles. Mosaic tiles have to be polished after fixing them in their position.
White glazed tiles, manufactured from pottery clay are used for flooring, W.C, bathrooms, swimming pools and other sanitary blocks.
These tiles do not require any polishing. Tiled floorings require hard sub-grade with may be in the form o RCC slab or cement concrete.
Advantages Of Tiled Flooring:
- Tile floors are non-absorbent.
- Tile floors are very much durable, extremely tough, and difficult to crack.
- It comes in a variety of options.
- Good looking. The appearance of tile floor is very pleasant.
- Easy to install.
- It requires less maintenance.
- Maintenance is easy.
- Easily Repairable.
- Quick work.
- It is environmentally friendly.
Disadvantages Of Tiled Flooring:
- Very costly both in its initial cost as well as in maintenance.
- Very slippery when wet.
This flooring is very high class and commonly used in places of worship (temples, churches, mosques, etc) and in public buildings having rich specifications.
Marbles are laid on floors just like other tile floors. The surface of the floor is rubbed and polished with the help of a power-driven polishing machine. The resulting surface of the floor is very pleasing and smooth.
The size of marble slabs to be used in flooring depends upon the pattern to be adopted. The slabs for normal works are square or rectangular in shape and their thickness varies from 20 mm to 40 mm.
The flooring is laid on a prepared sub-grade of concrete or RCC slab. In view of the high cost of material, the use of marble flooring in residential buildings is normally restricted to areas like kitchens, bathroom entrances, etc.
Advantages Of Marble Flooring:
- Marble flooring is very durable and can last for ages. It is a heavy stone and can take heavy loads on it.
- It has a very smooth finish and when polished, it gives a luminous shine.
- Marble flooring is scratch resistant as well as fire-resistant.
- It is very easy to clean marble flooring.
- It is eco-friendly.
Disadvantages Of Marble Flooring:
- Inserting marbles on floors is very time-consuming and hence requires only skilled technicians and laborers.
- It is very difficult to change/replace marble flooring once installed.
- It requires a high degree of maintenance.
- Marble floors are very slippery when wet.
- As marbles get very cold in the winter season, they are not suitable in very cold climates.
- Marbles are much heavier than other tiles. Require more labor for loading.
- So much wastage.
- Types Of Flooring Used In Buildings
- Difference Between Marble & Granite
- How To Remove Stains From Marble
- Granite Flooring – Pros & Cons
- Hardwood Flooring – Pros & Cons