Difference Between Tile Flooring & Marble Flooring
Tiles are precast units of pottery, cement concrete or terrazzo. They are manufactured in various thickness and shapes like square, polygonal etc. Precast terrazzo tiles are known as mosaic tiles. Mosaic tiles have to be polished after fixing them in their position.
White glazed tiles, manufactured from pottery clay are used for flooring, W.C, bathrooms, swimming pools and other sanitary blocks. These tiles do not require any polishing. Tiled floorings require hard sub-grade with may be in the form o RCC slab or cement concrete.
Advantages Of Tiled Flooring:
1. Tile floors are non-absorbent.
2. Tiles floors are very much durable, extremely tough and difficult to crack.
3. It comes in a variety of options.
4. Good looking. The appearance of tile floor is very pleasant.
5. Easy to install.
6. It requires less maintenance.
7. Maintenance is easy.
8. Easily Repairable.
9. Quick work.
10. It is environmental friendly
Disadvantages Of Tiled Flooring:
1. Very costly both in its initial cost as well as in maintenance.
2. Very Slippery when wet.
This flooring is very high class and commonly used in places of worship (temples, churches, mosques etc) and in public buildings having rich specifications. Marbles are laid in floors just like other tile floors. The surface off the floor is rubbed and polished with the help of power driven polishing machine. Resulting surface of the floor is very pleasing and smooth.
The size of marble slabs to be used in flooring depends upon the pattern to be adopted. The slabs for normal works are square or rectangular in shape and their thickness varies from 20 mm to 40 mm. The flooring is laid on prepared sub-grade of concrete or RCC slab. In view of high cost of material, use of marble flooring in residential buildings is normally restricted to areas like kitchen, bathroom entrance etc.
Advantages Of Marble Flooring:
1. Marble flooring is very durable and can last for ages. It is a heavy stone and can take heavy loads on it.
2. It has a very smooth finish and when polished, it gives a luminous shine.
3. Marble flooring is scratch resistant as well as fire resistant.
4. It is very easy to clean marble flooring.
5. It is eco-friendly.
Disadvantages Of Marble Flooring:
1. Inserting marbles in floors is very much time consuming hence require only skilled technicians and laborers.
2. It is very difficult to change/replace marble flooring once installed.
3. It requires a high degree of maintenance.
4. Marble floors are very slippery when wet.
5. As marbles get very cold in winter season, they are not suitable in very cold climate.
6. Marbles are much heavier than other tiles. Require more labors for loading.
7. So much wastage.