What Is Aluminium Paint?
Aluminium paint is solvent-based paint that is filled with aluminium flake. It can be used as both wooden and metallic finish. Such as storage tanks, roofs, and pipework.
Aluminium paint can withstand temperatures up to 150°C (302°F). Aluminium paint is excellent resistant to heat, light, and water permeability.
Aluminium paint gives a clean and smooth genuine Aluminium finish, and it is highly resistant to corrosion and rust.
Aluminium paint is suitable for restoring old or rusted aluminium or steel objects in industrial areas or giving a new finish to any wooden materials.
Aluminium paint is often used for coating metallic and wooden equipment and corrugated sheets in industrial areas.
Composition of Aluminium Paint
The compositions of aluminium paint are as follows:
The base is the first and foremost layer of paint; it is a very important component, also referred to as the body of paint.
The most common base used for Aluminium paint is Titanium dioxide, and it helps prevent the paint from cracking, particularly shrinkage cracking.
The vehicle is composed of an oily liquid in which both the base and the pigment are soluble. The primary objective of this component is to allow the paint to spread over the surface where it is applied.
Varnish is the most common type of vehicle used in Aluminium paint, and It is quite volatile, so it does not necessarily become a part of the paint.
The pigment is basically for imparting the color to the paint. In general, we can define it as the pigment as the coloring material added to other constituents of the paint to achieve or get the desired color to the paint.
The main function of the pigment is to hide the surface and give an excellent appearance to the surface where it is applied.
These pigments are made of fine mineral powders that help achieve the desired color, which provides the surface with an opaque and glossy finish.
4. Thinner/ Solvent
Thinner/solvent is added to adjust the thickness of the paint, and it also helps to make the application of the paints easy, uniform, and smooth. Usually, the mineral spirit is used as thinner in Aluminium paint.
Additive components help to achieve additional properties of paint such as dispersion of pigment, color, opacity, anti-freezing properties, corrosion-resistant properties, etc. most common additives used in Aluminium paints are driers.
Surface Preparation For Painting
New Surface Preparation
- Make sure to remove all rust and scales by scraping or brushing with steel brushes or other tools.
- Now make the surfaces smooth using sandpaper.
- Next, Clean the surface using a clean cloth and remove all dust carefully.
- With the help of coarse emery paper and brush, clean the rusty patches thoroughly.
- Remove all grease marks and wash the surface and leave it for drying.
- The rusted surface should be applied with ready-made paint of red lead.
Old Surface Preparation
- Try using grease or smoke to clean old firm paint.
- The surface should be rubbed with sandpaper and dusted off.
- Apply ready-made paint of red lead on the cleaned rusty patches.
- Remove the old paint if any of it is swelled and flaked.
Advantages of Aluminium Paint
- Aluminium paint offers a brighter appearance even in the darkness of the room.
- It is corrosion-resistant, weathering resistance, and water-resistant.
- Aluminium paint is also heat resistant and suitable for both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Aluminium paint is used for wooden flooring and metallic surfaces. It gives a highly metallic finish and glossy touch.
- It lasts for a longer duration.
Disadvantages Of Aluminium Paint
- The drying time of Aluminium paint is a bit longer when compared to other types of paint.
- Aluminium paints are not suitable or cannot be applied during low temperatures.
Precautions During Painting
- Painting must proceed only when the painting area is free from dust particles.
- Using hard or dry brushes can form lines on the surface, so it is recommended to use smooth brushes.
- The paint must be free from dust particles; make sure you choose a clean container.
- Each coat of paint must be provided at a certain interval to dry well before applying a new coat to it.
- Each coat of paint should be dried properly.
- Before painting, make sure you remove or cover nearby materials to avoid any paint splash on them.
1. The application process of Aluminium paint is relatively easy and does not require any skilled person. It can be applied easily using rollers, brushes, spray, etc. Upon application, the Aluminium paint dries quickly.
2. Aluminium paint can be applied on various surfaces such as telegraphic towers, masonry surfaces, metal surfaces, storage tanks, hot water pipes, and wooden surfaces.
3. It must be applied in well-ventilated conditions, and proper care should be taken to avoid any skin contact with the paint.
4. In case of accidental skin contact, We must clean the affected area immediately with soap, water, or cleanser.
Types Of Paint Used In Building Construction
How To Remove Paint From Concrete Surface
How To Calculate Quantity Of Paint For Building
For More Updates like our Facebook Page and join our Telegram Channel.