WPC Board Vs Plywood
A lot of materials come to your mind when you decide to change the interior of your houses or oﬃces. But selecting the best material out of so many is a concern. Out of various materials, WPC boards and plywoods are chosen more often.
The WPC board and the plywood are excellent building materials used widely. Due to their qualities like durability, strength, and workability, both of them are popular as building materials.
Still, many of us do not have complete knowledge of WPC boards and plywood. So we often get confused while selecting one out of the two wood products. To choose a perfect material for your house or oﬃce, you need to have some knowledge regarding the materials. Also, it is important to know the diﬀerences between WPC board and Plywood sheet. So have a comparison between WPC board vs plywood in this article.
What Is WPC Board?
WPC is the abbreviated form of “Wood Plastic Composite”. WPC board is an alternative to plywood and other natural woods. Like plywood, it is an artificially manufactured wood. The internal strength of WPC boards is relatively higher.
Wood plastic composite boards are composed of 70 % virgin polymer, 15 % wood powder, and 15 % additional chemicals used to enhance their properties.
WPC boards are available in various thickness sizes such as 5 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm, 10 mm, 12 mm, 15 mm, 17 mm, 18 mm, 20mm, and 25 mm. The size of a WPC board is 8 feet into 4 feet, respectively and the density of the board is approximately 600 kg/cm3.
Features of WPC board
Features of WPC board are as given below:
1. Aesthetically, a WPC board looks like natural wood. It also gives the feel of natural wood.
2. It is highly durable and does not require frequent maintenance and also it doesn’t fold or splinter into small pieces.
3. WPC board also can resist moisture, termites, and fungi. That’s why it is considered to be highly durable.
4. It is an eco-friendly alternative to natural wood. It does not require the cutting of trees for its production.
5. As compared to natural wood, the fixation of nails, screws, and fasteners is greater in WPC boards.
Uses And Applications Of WPC Board
WPC boards have several uses. They are used in making
- Decks and outdoor patios,
- Garden fence,
- Internal and external panels,
- Furniture items such as cupboards, cabinets,
- Partition wall, bathroom furniture, etc.
Advantages Of WPC Board
Advantages of WPC board are as follows:
1. It is an eco-friendly product and no trees are cut down for the production of WPC boards.
2. WPC boards are highly durable as they are termite-proof and waterproof.
3. It can be crafted to any shape and size, as per the requirement.
4. It is also resistant to rot, decay, and marine borer attacks and it is also a corrosion-resistant material.
5. Nailing and screwing can be easily done on WPC boards.
Disadvantages Of WPC Board
Disadvantages of WPC board are as follows:
1. The ability to resist extreme temperatures is relatively lower in case of WPC boards.
2. For cutting the board, laser cutting machine is not suitable as it will burn the WPC board.
3. It is costly as compared to other materials.
What Is Plywood?
Plywood is wood that is manufactured artificially. It is a sheet of wood, manufactured by gluing up few layers of wood in such a manner that the wood grains are placed at an angle of 90 degrees.
Plywood is very popular and very common in use. It is available in various thicknesses. Many types of plywood are available in the market, such as hardwood plywood, softwood plywood, flexible plywood, etc.
It is a versatile, flexible, and durable building material. It also posses high workability due to which it is widely used. Plywood is generally used to make furniture items, doors, windows, and sometimes for interior and exterior works.
Properties Of Plywood
The properties of plywood are as follows:
- Higher strength and stability.
- Highly resistant to impact.
- Resistant to water and chemicals.
- Flexible material.
- Resistant to fire.
Uses And Applications
Plywood is used in
- External and internal walls.
- Furniture items.
- General construction.
Advantages Of Plywood
The advantages of plywood are as follows:
1. It oﬀers good stability.
2. It is resistant to water and chemical.
3. It can be crafted into any shape and size.
4. It can be painted or polished.
5. It oﬀers resistance to shrinkage and warping.
Disadvantages Of Plywood
1. It is less water-resistant if proper treatment is not done.
2. Most plywoods are not bendable.
3. Plywood is costly.
Difference Between WPC Board Vs Plywood
|It is manufactured from wood powder which is known as sawdust.||It is manufactured by gluing up several layers of plies together.|
|It is waterproof.||It is relatively less resistant to water.|
|More expensive than plywood.||Less expensive as compared to WPC boards.|
|It does not require the application of paint or polish.||To make its surface smooth, paint is applied to the surface of plywood.|
|It has a high load-bearing capacity.||The load-bearing capacity of plywood is relatively less.|
|It is eco-friendly as no trees are cut down for its manufacturing.||It is not an eco-friendly material, as it is manufactured directly from natural wood.|
I hope you have now enough knowledge between WPC Board Vs Plywood. Which material you will choose for your interior? Let me know in the comments.
Also Read –