Self compacting concrete is a high-performance concrete which is highly flowable or self-leveling cohesive concrete that spreads by its own weight. Thanks to this property, it can be easily placed in the tight reinforcement. Aditionally this concrete posses same strength and durability like conventional concrete. It is also known as super workable concrete or self-consolidating concrete.
As the name suggests, this concrete compacts by itself without the use of external vibrators. Some admixtures are used to reduce the yield stress in self compacting concrete such as HRWR (high range water-reducing admixture), and the viscosity is increased by using VMA (viscosity modifying admixture).
Advantages Of Self Compacting Concrete
The advantages of SCC are as follows
1. Faster construction and requires less manpower reduce the overall cost of production.
2. Self compacting concrete can be placed easily in complicated formwork and dense reinforcement.
3. It is super workable due to its low water-cement ratio, which gives rapid strength development, more durability, and best quality.
4. As it is self-compacted there is no need to use any vibrator.
5. Bleeding and segregation problems are almost nil.
6. It produces a smooth and well-finished surface at the end of concreting.
7. Thinner concrete slabs can be cast easily.
8. Working procedure is totally safe.
9. It is environment-friendly.
1. Self compacting concrete requires high fluidity in tight joints formwork, which slow downs the casting rate.
2. Due to its low water-cement ratio, plastic shrinkage cracks may occur. But this can be avoided by curing properly.
3. Highly skilled and experienced workers are required for the production of SCC.
4. It is more costly than any other conventional concrete.
The main applications of SCC are as following:
- Raft foundations and pile foundations
- Retrofitting and repairing constructions
- Structures with complex reinforcement distributions
- Dense reinforcement, pipes/conduits
- Earth retaining systems
- Drilled shafts
Also Read –